Passports: East Africans may use valid national passports to travel within the region, or use the East African Passport, which was introduced as a travel document to ease border crossing for East Africans. Currently, the East African Passport may be used for travel within the EAC region only.
How do I get an East African passport?
Steps of Application
- Register on www.ecitizen.go.ke.
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and or Department of immigration services and click on the passport application form.
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
How strong is the East African passport?
East African nations have the most powerful passports in the continent outside South Africa, a 2016 Index by World Economic forum shows. The power of a passport is measured interms of the number of countries one can travel to visa free.
How much does an East African passport cost?
Fees vary for applicants based on the type of passport they request. The fee for a regular East African e-passport is USD $67.81, or UGX 250,000. A service international East African e-passport costs USD $108.49, or UGX 400,000.
Are Ugandan old passports still valid?
Ugandan machine-readable passports will no longer be valid for international travel after April 4, 2022, and will be replaced by international East African e-passports.
Can I get a Ugandan passport without a national ID?
Applicants without National Identity Cards: Government is aware that a number of Ugandans in the diaspora have not yet acquired National ID cards due to geographical challenges. Therefore, an applicant who has not yet acquired a National ID will not be required to provide his/her National Identification card.
How do I get a temporary East African passport?
- Register for an e-citizen account.
- Fill online application.
- Pay prescribed fee.
- Print two (2) copies the duly completed application form and two invoices.
- Attached copies of required documents.
- Submit at the nearest Immigration office (for Airport) or at point of entry/exit.
Which country is in East Africa?
East African countries (19) – Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Réunion, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, Somaliland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
Are old passports still valid?
Yes. British passports will continue to be valid until their expiry date for entry to the UK. The rule changes resulting from the end of the transition period only apply for entry to a state where the Schengen Borders Code is applicable.
Which countries are in EAC?
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional intergovernmental organisation of the Republics of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of Rwanda and Republic of Burundi with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
How long does the passport process take?
Passport Services Available Now
Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for processing and 5 to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.
Which countries are visa free for Ugandans?
Ugandan passport visa free countries to travel
- Rwanda. Visa Free. 6 months • …
- Burundi. Visa Free. 3 months • …
- Kenya. Visa Free. 3 months • …
- Tanzania. Visa Free. 3 months • …
- Malawi. Visa Free. 3 months • …
- Eritrea. Visa Free. Asmara • Eastern Africa • Africa. …
- Zambia. Visa Free. 3 months • …
- Mozambique. Visa Free.