biscuit: In South Africa a cookie is known as a “biscuit”. The word is also a term of affection, as in, “Hey, you biscuit”.
What do they call candy in South Africa?
South African English
What does costume mean in South Africa?
Coloured – refers to typically light skinned South Africans of mixed European and Khoisan and/or Malay ancestry. costume – besides meaning attire worn to a dress-up party/play it also refers to a bathing suit (short for “swimming costume” or “bathing costume”), sometime abbreviated cozzie also used in Britain.
What does Dala mean?
‘ Delicious Durban lingo: Dala (dah-lah): This one is tricky, because it has more than one meaning. It could mean ‘fight’, ‘to kiss’ or ‘to do’. The most common phrase used is “Dala what you must” that means “do what you must”
What are some traditions in South Africa?
Important South African celebrations
- The Royal Reed Dance. This festival marks one of the celebrated Zulu holidays and festivals. …
- The Cape Town International Jazz Festival. …
- Jacaranda Festival. …
- Cape Town Minstrel Carnival. …
- The Arts Alive Festival. …
- Oppikoppi Bushveld Festival. …
- Knysna Oyster Festival.